Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Day of School

August 23rd was a monumental day here in the Shapiro house. One baby was heading off to high school, and the other to preschool. Fortunately they both had different start times, which allowed both Scot and I to be involved in "getting each kid ready". The unfortunate part about that is that we were unable to get a picture with both of our amazing children - together.

The day started out early for us: Canyon's bus arrives at 6:37am, which meant a 5:30 wake up call. I of course could not sleep that night and did the "check the alarm every hour routine", for fear of missing the alarm in the morning, therefore causing Canyon to be late his first day. He wasn't late. In fact, he was early. I believe starting high school as a freshman, and the excitement and apprehension of all of the new friendships and responsibilities to come - was definitely on Canyon's mind. The bus stop is at the front of our neighborhood, which means we send our son off each day in the darkness of the dawn...he is getting so big!

On the other end of the spectrum, we have little LG. She wakes up pretty consistently around 7:30ish, requesting to "Eat." "Dat way." Giving us our instructions before we barely have her out of her crib, and long before her evening diaper is changed. Today was naturally, different. Something happens to children when school starts. They have develop this internal clock that says "sleep in, it's a school day". And "hey, it's the weekend...rise and shine!" So on this day, we actually had to tiptoe into her room and sing the "Lazy Bones" song. (The very same Lazy Bones song I used to have to sing to Canyon when he was in preschool!) Breakfast time was filled with more orders (from her royal princess), and then we were off. Daddy had to go to work, so it was up to mommy to make the trip to the "J" to drop Lily off in Ms Donna & Ms Vicky's class for the first time.

I was nervous. Nervous the way I expect most moms feel on the day they leave their child at school for the first time. Granted, this was only part time preschool (Tues & Thur 9-12:00), I was still feeling sad that she would think I was abandoning her, and afraid that she would cry. I couldn't have been more wrong. Typical now that I think about it...my entire pregnancy and delivery was far from what I expected. I suppose my motto while raising Lillian should be "Expect the Unexpected". That little peanut marched right into her new classroom, found some toys that she was interested in, waved and said "Bye-bye". Of all the people I thought would cry...I never thought it would be me. And in all honesty, I didn't. I left there confident and happy knowing that my child was "okay". I had prepared her well, and given her the confidence she needed to know that "mommy always comes back". And so each day, before we get into her classroom, I say: "I hope you have a great day at school, I love you, mommy always comes back when school is over."

And while I may not have quite the same words for Canyon each day, I believe he knows in his heart that after all these years, we will always be here for him at the end of his school day as well. And at his ripe age of 14, I am guessing that he would probably rather not have us home every once in a while. ;)

No comments:



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones